December 31, 2009

Well Hell

Well, hell. Now, please know that I am not a person who is prone to curse. But, in the midst of a very busy week which follows a couple of very busy weeks which will be followed by a lot more very busy weeks- I was diagnosed with Shingles this morning.

I stared at the poor young doctor man with most likely an incredulous look on my face when he announced my diagnosis. A multitude of thoughts ran through my mind simultaneously. Was this person old enough to be a doctor?  I had glanced at his Diplomas on my way into the exam room; now where did he go to school again? Could someone possibly have convinced him to participate in a practical joke at my expense? Surely, just surely he did not just say I had Shingles.

I believe that the Universe has a funny sense of humor. I've been busy at the kennel, busy coordinating breedings and mares accomodations for the 2010 breeding season, busy getting supplies and the foaling barn set up, busy grooming and training dogs, and busy being a wife, mother, daughter, and friend during the holidays. (Ok, so I haven't spent a lot of time being a friend- sorry Tara, Sandi, Paula, Amber, Rachel, etc, etc.).  It appears that the Universe has the last laugh at my expense and my immune system has become compromised.

As the doctor wrote several prescriptions and dispensed information regarding my "condition", he informed me that I would need to take a week off work and asked if I needed a note for my employer. Funny. I was so dumbfounded that I missed the details regarding if I was contagious, what the prescriptions were for, and how to manage my malady. I googled those details afterwards. I sort of wish I hadn't. Talk about an inconvenience.

So, now I have a reason for why I've felt so exhausted the past week. And a reason for the stabbing needles of pain in my arm. I had postponed this visit to the doctor because I thought I may have severely pulled a bicep muscle. I thought the inconvenience would be an ultrasound or something. Again, the last laugh is on me. So, with prescriptions in hand, I presented my note to Wayne indicating that I would be not working for a while. We had a fine chuckle together and began to pick ZigZag's stall together. I'll maybe take some time off after foaling season (say, about June?)

1 comment:

  1. WOW and I thought I had a bad day. Hope the meds work and you are not in to much pain. Marcia

    ReplyDelete