December 11, 2009

Let It Flow, Let It Flow, Let It Flow

Water is associated with many things- usually all pleasant. Water is used to induce peaceful meditation, relaxation. Many people choose to vacation near water. Running water is considered a thing of beauty- that is, unless it is in my barn...

The foaling barn- considered the smaller, cozier barn of our facilities stands awaiting the arrival of mares for the 2010 season. It's only occupants of late are Connie, the adult donkey and her nephew Jacob, the baby donkey. Last evening, I noticed a gurgling, bubbling sound emanating from within the small barn. Even from outside, I could hear the sound of rushing water and a sick sense of dread crept into my abdomen. Before I entered the rear access door of the barn, I peered through a window to locate it's source.

Through the window of the largest foaling stall, I easily saw a fountain of water rushing down the wall of the adjacent stall. Like a fountain or a waterfall, the water rushed quickly, massively, and freely filling the floor of Jacob's stall. He stood on his tiny donkey tiptoes, looking for higher ground, as the water encroached upon him.

His distress evident, I flung into action. I raced out of the barn to round up manpower for the task at hand. Donkeys, as a rule, do not favor being led. And they also do not like to be hurried. The only manpower which was readily available was Wayne. Over the din of donkeys braying and water splashing, , he directed me to the emergency shut-off valve within the barn. On my hands and knees, I activated the lever and the gushing water slowed to a stream, then a trickle, then a drip.

I waded into Jacob's stall to save him from his imagined drowning. He refused to step forward into the ankle deep water. Failing to coerce him to lead forward, I bent over and scooped him into my arms. Jacob is a smallish donkey- but a six month old donkey who is sure he may drown is no small package to carry to safety.

After depositing him in a dry stall at the farthest end of the barn, we proceeded to save Connie from the great flood. She stood stoic and unmoving- as if she had accepted her dilemma. Wading in to grasp her halter, one of us pulled and the other pushed until she, too, was standing in a dry stall.

Once the donkeys were safely arranged in their dry accomodations, we conducted a thorough investigation into the matter. Our search uncovered that a water pipe had burst inside the outer wall and just above one of the foaling stalls. The Winter weather and near zero windchill had taken it's toll and the pipe could not contain it's frozen contents. Likely it had burst overnight and as the day warmed the water within, the breach became an open line- spewing gallons of water forth. Thankfully, the donkeys were only alone for a short time.

Today was spent repairing (or sort of repairing) the water line. Dispirited, I could not bring myself to begin the clean-up effort. The first occupant of the foaling barn arrives just after Christmas Day so I have just under a week to return the stalls and barn to its hospital-like state. The countdown has begun!

1 comment:

  1. At least the barn was not full of mares and foals. Here in OH all our water lines have to be way under ground. What a mess to clean up. Marcia

    ReplyDelete