December 2, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like...

Foaling Season! I just finished a phone call with Dr. Mather (our farm's attending veterinarian). Through the years, we have developed a close doctor/patient relationship as well as friendship. It's inevitable, of course. During peak breeding and foaling season, this is a person whom we see at least once, sometimes twice, every day. There have been days/months the past few years during which I've spent more time with Dr. Mather than my own family or husband.

Foaling season is a lot more like childbirth than you would initially expect. Aside from the obvious act of helping new life begin its journey, it is also similar because we are blessed with the ability to forget the pain and stress associated with it. Like a woman who has given birth to a child, those memories fade and we begin to look forward to birth and new arrival again.

It took me several months to forget the foaling season of 2009! It was filled with joy, drama, miracles, and tense moments. But, ahhh- blissfully, those memories have faded and they are replaced by the stronger memories of the wonderful foals who followed. Even a month ago, the memories were sharp. I could still feel the fatigue, the ever-constant worry.

But, as always, I woke a few mornings ago and a seed of anticipation began to grow. Now, as I prepare the foaling schedule, calendar, and start to envision the patter of the tiniest hooves again, the anticipation is getting stronger every day.

I miss my MareStare friends. I'm anxious to get started again and begin the vigils and excitement of the foalings shared with a warm horse-loving community. T-minus 40 days and counting until the first mare is due. T-minus 25 days until the first mare goes on camera! See you soon, in my barn.

Khris

2 comments: