December 8, 2009

City Mouse/Country Mouse

Some days are just plain miserable. Today was one such day. Not only are we deep in the throes of a cold snap here in Kentucky, but today Mother Nature decided to test the driving skills of my fellow Kentuckians by throwing some sleet and rain our direction.  This on the ONE day which I needed to cross the river for an appointment in downtown Cincinnati. I passed countless accidents as the rain/ice combination began to fall and couldn't help but thank higher powers that Wayne and I found our way safely back into our driveway both unharmed and undelayed.

I am fascinated by the city. For me a trip to the city is akin to an adventure- complete with strange sights/sounds/smells, danger, and foreign cultures. Of course, I am a child of nature. I was raised in an extremely rural community- I grew up in a town with less than 75 residents. I knew the first, middle, and last name of every person in my hometown.  I romped in the woods between my own home and my best friend Darren's home. We had our own secret forts, creekbeds, bridges made from fallen trees.

In the city the enormous concrete and steel structures loom in contrast to the green natural spaces which surround me at home. Their size and scope are beautiful. Today, everything in the city was gray and monotone. Even the traffic lights offered little variety in the gloomy weather. There were miles of cement and blacktop, all man-made.  After just a few hours where everyone lives stacked upon one another, waits in impatient lines, and seems accustomed to ignoring other people, I was ready to return to the farm.

Although it rained hard all afternoon, the muted green paddocks were still welcoming. Tomorrow, the farm will be a muddy mess. Maybe then, I will appreciate the city a little more. Heidi, Wayne's Sheltie, was still pouting when we returned home because she had been uninvited on our adventure. I told her that she would not have liked the city but she casually dismissed me. Shelties have a way of dismissing ideas they don't agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment