December 13, 2009

The Little Drummer Boy

Each of us marches to the beat of a different drummer. Well, unless you are in a marching band, and then you have to march to the same beat as everyone else. Thankfully, there are no bands (nor drum corps) at Fields Quarter Horses leaving us to each move throughout the days to our own internal rhythm.

Of late, my drummer has been beating a little more slowly than  usual. Between January and May, I am accessible 24 hours of every day and on call 7 days per week. There are no days off nor even hours during which I can escape for very long. In preparation for the season, I take a little "ME" time every December. Of course, the phone still rings- there are horses to sell, mares to schedule foaling or breeding services, stallion owner duties to attend to, kennel owner duties, dog grooming, and dog training to tend to.

But, December for me is like the calm before a storm. I spend the month cleaning, decorating (well, sort of), painting, and tinkering with home projects. Color springs to life on walls I have stared at for months. Throw pillows and new duvet covers help bedrooms feel fresh and shiny. This is my Christmas present to myself. These little projects and the occasional mid-afternoon movie.

Soon enough, it will become a chore to find time to cook and even eat. There will be little time to grocery shop, sleep, and complete the tasks my jobs demand of me. For about another week, however, my drummer is beating slowly. I plan to take just another week or two to listen to his music.

Khris

No comments:

Post a Comment