December 6, 2009

Frozen Pond

It dawned unusually cold again this morning at Fields Quarter Horses. The weatherperson whom Wayne trusts on the morning newscast says it was 16 degrees last night- that is an uncommon temperature for Kentucky in December. I believe that I trusted the wrong wooly worm when predicting this year's Winter weather.

Amber's Bostonian born and bred beau Dean was visiting Kentucky this weekend. I enjoyed watching him watch her work as she exercised, trained, and supervised horses the past two days. He glowed with pride when she didn't think he was looking. He offered to help lift and carry heavy objects and she allowed him to do so. At the barn, when there is no masculine presence within shouting distance, we girls often demonstrate physical feast which would parallel those of a carnival strong man. But, when a husband or boyfriend is about, it is acceptable to allow them to carry, heft, hoist, and lug.  Dean reminds me of a golden retriever (I like golden retrievers). He seems loyal, happy, stable, smart, and appropriate for a family with small children.

Since the Kempton's (Chase and Maria's parents) visit at Thanksgiving and the installation of a new copper backsplash, I have been overwhelmed with the choice of a new paint color for my kitchen. I have taped paint chips to the walls. I have studied the colors in the morning, mid-day, afternoon, and evening light. I have consulted with trusted design experts (Wayne, Brittney, Amber, Tara, Sandi to name a few). I have found myself contemplating options such as Pebble Sand and Autumn Harvest whilst I filled water tubs and cleaned stalls. The addition of a color to the sterile white walls of my kitchen has been a conundrum.

Today, I decided to be daring. Choosing a paint color when I was in such a venturesome mood was chancy to say the least. Wayne decided that he MUST have the electric pressure washer on sale at Home Depot at 10:00am this morning so I decided to sieze the day- and paint. Perhaps I was inspired by the forecast of the day; or perhaps I was being impulsive; I'll never know. But, I left Home Depot with custom mixed paint, brushes, and rollers in hand.

I chose a color named Frozen Pond. For some reason, the name mesmerized me. I proceeded to apply Frozen Pond to the walls of my kitchen. Scaling my kitchen cabinets, I stood on countertops in socks and quickly transformed my kitchen into an earthy, warm paradise.

Frozen Pond was never a chip that was taped to my wall. In fact, it was not in the running, nor a finalist in my list of color choices. But, as I admire my handiwork tonight, I think impulsive is ok. Maybe I should plan a little less, stop trying to fit all the pegs into the appropriate holes, and live in a little more daring color. Now, to choose a color for my hallway...back to the paint chips.

2 comments:

  1. I'd drink to that! Impulsivity is the only way to fly! You done good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll join you in that drink Judy! *raises her Yuengling in proof*

    As for the hallway I can recommend either Magical Merlin (Blue) or Sea Mist(soft green).

    ReplyDelete