December 15, 2009

O Little Town of ...

Anywhere...I thought I would take a moment to pay homage to small towns. I live in a small town. Prior to that I lived in a smaller town. Before that, growing up as a small child, I lived in an even smaller town.

I enjoy the comfort and connection of rural America. Recently, our small town of Walton, Kentucky held it's annual Christmas On Main celebration. It consisted of a parade which lasted about 10 minutes, some carollers from the High School, and the lighting of the city Christmas Tree.  Quaint for sure, but also dependable and relaxing.

Having lived in small towns my entire life, there are a few underlying characteristics which I feel a burg must have to qualify. These are the threads which make up the fabric of a town. Here is a listing of my requirements for a hometown.

There must be at least one town drunk (sort of like Otis from Andy Griffith)- harmless yet hopeless and unsaveable from his drug of choice. In the modern times, I suppose you could exchange this with a drug addict? Perhaps, I'm not sure on that one.

There may only be one restaurant. Any restaurants located near the Interstate don't count as they are not for the locals. Also, any Waffle House does not count as a restaurant. In the town restaurant, it is expected that service be less than average, the pies are home-made from scratch every day, and the waitresses meet you at the table with your drink.

Any small town may only have one grocery store and it should preferably NOT be a chain. If your only grocery store is now a chain, that is a sign that your town will not be small for much longer. Also, the grocery store clerks should know your mother, your grandmother, and most of your business.

Gas wars are as foreign to a small town as Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. There is no need for a gas war in a small town- there is likely only one gas station and they may charge whatever they wish. Additionally, a proper small town should have a Postmaster who knows the first name of every person living in your household and is nosy enough to see who is sending you Christmas cards. Everyone at the school knows you and your children and you are allowed to take the neighbor's child home without a background check or permission note.

It is also nearly impossible to drive from your driveway to the bank without having at least one person wave at you. And that is why I love living in a small town. Bless my little town and it's contents!

No comments:

Post a Comment