November 24, 2009

My Daily Blog...Uh, I Mean Frog

I have a lot of frogs. Well, not officially frogs- really more toads. For some reason, we have a lot of these little fellows at our farm. They congregate in little frog herds near the water hydrants, shavings bin, indoor arena (just to name a few of their hang-out-spots).

Maybe the source of our frog phenomenon is our geography. When we excavated the site for the barn some years ago, we filled in an old pond. Unwittingly, we may have displaced this family of frogs. Many probably hopped over the hill to the "big city" of the lake. But, in all likelihood, this line of frogs may have lived at our farm for countless generations. Their ancestral programming beckons them to return to the home of their parents/grandparents/and so forth.

Sometimes, a burly muscular looking frog hangs out near our alfalfa bale storage. I missed seeing him the past few days and found myself wondering if he has moved on to greener (*smile*) pastures. Maybe there is a lady frog somewhere who has beckoned him. Maybe he finally made the long journey to the neighbor's lake.

I fear that he may have become dinner for one of the barn cats. They seem to have developed an affinity for the flavor of frog legs. Strangely, I felt that my frog friend was immune from their daily hunts. I surely hope he was. He would sometimes sit in the corner of the feed room. Like a little sentry, he would salute me when I walked by. I hope he returns soon.  I kinda miss my Daily Frog...

No comments:

Post a Comment