November 30, 2009

A Muse

It has come to my attention that in life, we draw inspiration from many sources. A brilliant sunrise. A tiny pink hand clasped around fingers. A warm whiskery kiss. All of these images are memories but also serve to invoke happiness, devotion, and love to name a few. Sometimes, however, memories can only take us as far as the experiences which created them. In such times, I need a Muse.

For me, a Muse serves as a stimulus to unlock the creative chambers of my mind. Like an accelerant to a flame, it feeds my mind and ignites a flow of ideas (or in this case, words). One such creature for me is a lady from California who occasionally calls herself Dame Judy. I have never met Judy and have rarely spoken to her unless in the wee hours of the night. She watches our cameras during foaling season unfailingly and has often been the herald of a new arrival. her calls are most likely to arrive just when I enter REM sleep so she lives in a somewhat dream-area of my memory.

Like the changeable nature which I imagine she has, Judy sometimes assumes different forms in my mind. Somedays, she is a wild, red-haired Gypsy laughing as she rides a white stallion across a beach. Other days, she is a wise matron stroking a black cat on her lap. Always, she is mercurial and shifting.

I was asked today where I draw inspiration to write most days. Judy is one of the Muse's housed in my creative stable. I call upon her- or my mental picture of her- on days when I feel whimsical and creative. Thanks, Judy!

4 comments:

  1. That was beautifully written Khris! Judy should be an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just scrolling through the Facebook entries -- yes, I know it's noon here and I'm just getting through with my "first" cup of coffee and beginning my "morning" surfing of the net -- and I saw the word "Muse" and I couldn't believe it! A big smile broke out on my face before I even dared to read your blog today. I am so honored and humbled. You, my dear, are the one who gets my little gray cells to write, even though my cache of creativity is so much less than yours. You are the "muse" I'm using to expand my own horizons and remove my own hidden light from under the bushel. I think it's a mutual admiration society we two have. I thank you for including me in your circle! And I think I have an over-abundance of mixed metaphors in this post already, so maybe I should stop and have another cup of coffee! Thanks again and hugs from Judy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khris, you could not have picked a better muse, or better descriptions of her!

    ReplyDelete