May 11, 2010

The United Nations

I like to think we are an equal opportunity farm- there is equal opportunity for all animals, despite race or creed, to live here. After all, we have a backwoods Appalachian Raccoon, an African Pygmy Hedgehog will be moving in soon, there is the Latin lover Jorge the Llama, the always neutral Bernese Mountain Dog who hails from the Alps, a Standard Poodle who likes to kiss people on both cheeks, and a bevy of little Shetland Sheepdogs who have tried very hard but been unsuccessful at losing their rich Scottish accents.

So, one would believe that we have all of our bases covered. The Senate of horses housed here hail from the four corners of the United States of America with origins from California to the Eastern Shores. I, however, feel there is one corner of the Earth that is not represented- and that is the Desert. I've begged; I've pleaded; I've pouted; I've been compelling; but, alas, I cannot coerce my husband into allowing me to own a camel. I have dreams of how cute he would be. Dreams of teaching him to cush (lie down) on command, and accept a rider. I have researched the proposition and understand that they are agreeable with our climates. I even understand that they can learn to cohabitate with horses fairly well. Therefore, it seems to me to be a natural addition to our animal kingdom.

But, since I won the recent debate regarding trees and allowing our woods to be logged, I have learned that it is better to lie in wait on this one. Patience is a virtue; and maybe, just maybe, will yield me a camel.

5 comments:

  1. Methinks this is a resurrected argument, but a valid one. I'm on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khris,
    Even in Vermont, a local farm has a camel who lives with sheep! Quite a spectacle as they are on the major route so during leaf peeping season, he is photographed quite a bit! Come on Wayne, be a sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will forward your comments to Wayne. Judy, you have a great memory. Jorge the Llama was a consolation prize from the last time this argument arose. So, we shall see what comes of it this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kriss... Really a Camel??????
    Wayne polled the animals and they voted no camel. They said that Chevy had inside information that camels spit and he is anti-tobacco. Wayne reminded him that he lived in KY but Chevy held firm. Nah, just kidding hope you get your wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be of great benefit to have a "camel-broke" horse. Throw that argument in there too.

    ReplyDelete