May 27, 2010

No Good Very Bad Wish I Would Have Slept Longer Day

I mentioned on Facebook today that I was having a no good very bad day. In the way that most of my days do, it started full of optimism and promise. I was certain when I awoke of the many things which I would accomplish this morning. By 9:00am, that plan was pretty much shot all to heck.

We've been blessed lately with a smallish and handy man named Mike Stanley who seemed to be able to do almost everything. Mike Stanley reminded me of a leprechaun. Not because of his diminutive stature nor his somewhat elfin features but more because he seems to possess magical powers which enable him to clean stalls in record time, fix anything that ever was broken, and perform basically any task we ask. My very bad day began when Mike apologized and told me that he was needed in Pennsylvania by Saturday morning for his real work (he's not a stall cleaner/handyman by trade but rather a pipe fitter who happened to be without pipe to fit lately). I did take time to appreciate Mike while he was working for us- but was still not ready to see him go. I had so many plans for things that he could do. So many weeds left to whack and so many fences still to repair.

Next, I returned to the office/kennel/foaling barn and found that the mower had mysteriously found its way into a deep pool of mud whilst Wayne was sitting atop it mowing a pasture. It was firmly wedged against a fence post and buried to the axle in slippery chocolate colored mud. The next hour was spent more error than trial on deciphering a way to extract the machine from its watery grave. Finally, with the truck in four wheel drive, and the boards from the fence removed, and the mares and foals looking on at the mud-pie flavored humans, we pulled the mower to safety.

And, then it was time for Maxim's second dose of IV antibiotics for the day. That in itself is a task as the yearling is adjusting to his enforced stall rest and recovery from a kick from another horse. His prognosis is good and he is improving each day but the delivery of IV antibiotics to an animal who is nearing 1/2 ton but has the maturity level of a puppy does not add to the general mood of any day.

The day progressed and I made yet another trip between the barns this afternoon to pick up the video camera. We've needed to catch an updated video of horse for sale Snapshot for a bit and today seemed like a great day. I hopped into my car promising to return with camera in hand in 15 minutes and drove the 3 miles to the office. Before I could get there, a surprise pop up thunderstorm arose. By the time I reached the kennel/barn, there was thunder, lightning, and torrential rains. Needless to say, the videography session was postponed once again.

So, that is the majority of my jacked up day. In the middle of it all, I tended to some of the horses, gave Maxim 3 more doses of medicine, worked on invoices, addressed invitations to the Open House, made phone calls, picked up items at the embroidery shoppe, got a new farm sign, and re-wrapped a foal's hernia wraps on her belly. Now, I'm going to go to bed and put the covers over my head. I'm going to dream of green fields (who someone else mows), fat horses (who someone else feeds), beautiful babies (all Chevy's of course), and sunny days. And tomorrow, I'll wake up ready to tackle the chores which I didn't get finished today!

No comments:

Post a Comment