April 26, 2010

Spy Games

The night was so dark that even the moon did not dare show herself. She lay low on the horizon, barely peeking her russet top over the trees. As I stepped outside into the darkness, I paused a moment and waited for the familiar slap of crisp air to strike my cheeks. I inhaled cool and smelled night. Then I let out a warm breath- carrying away the sleep shroud that surrounded me a moment before. I was on a mission and must not be distracted by this sharp assault to my senses.

I slipped my bare feet into the worn tennis shoes which were lying on the covered porch just to the left of the doorway. I had left them placed just so earlier in the evening and now my feet found their mark with ease in the darkness. Feeling the familiar sensation of my toes against the rough fabric inside the Nikes, I stepped lightly across the concrete porch then down to the earth at its edge. Noiselessly, my old tennis shoes carried me through the dark and toward the yellow light glowing at the corner of the foaling barn.

Before I reached the source of the light, I came to a familiar barrier. Stealthily, I grasped the cold link of chain which held the gate closed and lifted it from where it rested on the red metal. Expecting a squeak, I pushed the gate open slowly and carefully and was surprised by the silence. My mission called for complete secrecy- I must become as invisible as the mist which likely was swirling around the pre-dawn ground. I stepped forward placing each foot onto the concrete path with care.

I momentarily empathized with a large cat stalking its prey. My sense of urgency to reach my goal battled my mind's call to remain silent and invisible. I was a spy and on an essential mission. Many people depended on the success of this venture. Quietly, I lowered each heel then allowed my weight to roll forward onto my toe. Each step silently carried me closer to the open doorway of the barn and to the information I sought.

Upon reaching the doorway, I noted that my shadow followed me into the opening. Together, we entered and walked the few feet to the  the mare's stall. My eyes were still adjusting from the darkness of the yard to the brilliant flourescent lighting above her but my other senses were keen- I heard the mare's steady breathing as my pupils played catch up.

There lay Delilah staring back at me. She was a creamy palomino mare with a penchant for a secret. She had evaded being caught in labor for several days now. Her craving for privacy did not satisfy my need to help her deliver her foal. We had played out this game of cat and mouse more times than I could tell over the past few days. She would seem to be uncomfortable and lie down to rest- but when she realized that I approached the barn, she would jump up and nonchalantly nibble her hay. The cameras mounted above her stall were my ally in watching her secrets. And they were my only link to her clandestine activities.

This time, however, I had foiled her plan. Using my best ninja walk and with the music to Mission Impossible resounding in my head, I had slinked and sneaked until I was upon her. I had been successful and reveled in the knowledge that I had achieved my goal of observing Delilah in labor at last. Then, I realized that I was observing Delilah in labor. And my spy games were over- it was time to deliver a foal!

1 comment: