April 17, 2010

New Beginnings

Times like these serve to remind me that life is a series of cycles. I'm sure there is an ancient Chinese teaching somewhere that discusses this but I would rather learn it from a horse. In fact, I think that my best life lessons have come from horses- humility, pride, obedience, joy, sorrow, accomplishment, patience.

The past days have been beyond physically demanding- sporadic sleep, intermittent meals, and phycial challenges that determine life and death. Above the physical, however, they have been emotionally challenging as well. The cycles of emotion have ranged from despair to overwhelming hope. In the course of the past week, I have experienced every emotion within the human range and to the enth degree.

The ups and downs of breeding horses and delivering foals parallel the greatest treasures in nature- from mountain ranges to the deepest canyons, caverns, and beyond. I think that anyone who chooses to own a horse can appreciate the emotional experience which is connected to that process.

So, as I write this, it's a sunny new day. Nona's twin foals are frolicking in green pastures on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, she has stayed behind to become the mother to an orphan foal whose mother passed in Lexington, and most of the mares at the farm are bred to deliver 2011 foals. Noel delivered a wonderfully healthy large beautiful colt yesterday evening. Chevy is looking more and more like the remarkable sire that he is- the boy has grown into a man. And, I am thankful for both the highs and lows which were dealt to our staff. They serve to remind me that I am here for the total human experience. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment