April 22, 2010

Things that go bump...

I'll be brief today. Last week, I spent almost every night all nght in the foaling barn alone. It was just me, the mares, and the occassional foal. In the wee hours of the night, a person's mind can play tricks on them. Did I see someone outside the door? Did the horses nicker a welcome to a stranger entering the barn? Am I dreaming or awake and which state is reality?

Those are the imaginings of my mind in the 3:00am hour. It's a lonely time- well, Kathy is on the other end of the cameras and phone. Sandi may be there as well since she works the late late. But, oddly enough- for a few moments in those longest hours of the night- it was easy to imagine that the mares and I were alone and defenseless against my late night visitor. As if time ceased or became very small in his presence, I shunned my dark hour visitor and closed the barn doors.

I suppose I'll never know who he was, or from whence he came as I did not let him into the barn. I lay down on the straw next to the tiny twin foal who would pass away in the coming hours and Nona lay down beside me. The three of us lay there waiting- we knew not exactly what for but I did not think it was him.

No comments:

Post a Comment