October 30, 2009

The Story of Sam

This is a re-post of one of my favorite stories. I wrote this during foaling season last year and it was posted on the previous daily blog. For those of you who have already seen it, indulge me. For those of you who haven't, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing it! This is the Story of Sam from Embryonic twin to horse. Sam is now a vivacious 6 month old colt romping in Wisconsin with his family! Khris

In the beginning, there was only darkness. My first awareness was energy radiating from within me. I was nuclear- raw, pure, and infinite. There was another tiny voice in the darkness with me. It was competing with me for my mother's womb. Then the voice was silent. I lay very still inside my mother's womb and soon after, my heartbeat drowned out the silence. It was quiet and small in the beginning but soon, it was the loudest noise in my mother's body.


Occasionally, I could hear voices from outside my mother- they were mostly muffled. They discussed my twin- the now silent one, they discussed my mother, Sissy- but mostly they discussed me. I came to know these voices as the humans. When they spoke, my mother was happy. The smallest voices made her joyful and I would stretch my legs and feel wonderful, too.

As I grew stronger and larger, my mother would sometimes talk with me. She told me how special I was going to be. She told me that I would someday be a show horse like her and my father- she called him Chevy. She talked of him often and hoped that I would grow to be as strong and graceful as he. She was always so careful not to disturb me when she carried a rider. She also told me often how I would grow to be gentle and kind and respect all humans.

Then, her voice was quiet for a while. She was thinking and planning for my arrival. I wanted to hear my mother- but she did not speak to me. I became frantic and felt as if I could not move my legs any longer. I began to feel trapped and instinct encouraged me to look for her. I do not remember how I found her but do remember being the most cold, most sleepy, most tired, and most hungry that I had ever known. Suddenly, there were bright lights and the humans. Then, there was my mother's voice again. I had found my way back to her but things were different.

The same voice I knew encouraged me to stay beside her- and then to stand with her. This was pure joy! I untangled my legs- it had been so long since they were stretched out. A voice inside my head screamed at me to stand- I tried but the spider legs did not obey my will. I decided to rest and think about the task. I memorized the way it felt to move my hoof, my knee, my hock. Then, I went for it- up! and back down. It was so exhausting but Mother was always there- crooning to me that I was a beautiful show horse and must stand.

After a while, the attempts did not exhaust me as much and I stood without a human. The freedom was exhilarating and as soon as I stood, my legs took on a life of their own. I was running! Mother was so proud of me and told me that my father would be so proud, too. She said he must have been so graceful when he was one hour old. That made me feel like running even more.

The humans told me that I would be called Sam. They were always there- and made my mother happy. I think that I like the humans already.

I am Sam and this was the story of how I became a horse.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it even better the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    Thanks- I had a Sam report earlier this month and his owner loves him. Jude says hello, too!

    ReplyDelete