October 5, 2009

Conflict

What does conflict mean to you? I think our world may be changing. In my childhood, people were taught to avoid conflict- be a good girl, don't cause trouble, don't talk back. The theme of society was one of getting along with your fellow man. Being kind and doing good deeds were popular ideals. Superman was polite. In fact, all super heroes were back then. And our role models were the kind of people our grandmothers would have been proud of- Mousketeers, the gang from Sesame Street, Jackie Kennedy,

Nowadays, though, there is a general air of conflict everywhere we turn- TV, highways, schools, homes. TV sitcoms pay homage to conflicts beween men and women. Road rage is now a recognized term in our modern dictionary. As we've empowered our children to "stand up for themselves", I wonder if  we've also taught them to be combative and sometimes rude. Even pets seem empowered to bite more often and entitled to growl at their owners. The world functions in a manner which rewards those who step on someone else to get ahead.

As I've matured, I've learned that some conflict is inevitable- but the generalized approval and even endorsement of this behavior does not rest well with my soul. I cannot be accused of being an overly religious person but do believe that humans are the guardians of this Earth and the creatures who share it with us. With that privilege, surely comes our inate sense of right from wrong- good from bad. We were given that knowledge above other animals for a reason- it is our plight to use it.

I share the planet with about 6.6 billion other human beings. It's a crowded place. As we each try to make our way and prove to ourselves that we deserve to be here, that we were important for an instant- I suggest we listen to those embers glowing in the dim areas of our brains. Random acts of kindness will make you feel better about yourself. Stop trying to be important and just be happy. Worry less about yourself and more about your fellow man. Get over yourself. Use your powers for good instead of evil.  Feel shame if you try to take advantage of someone else. And love something else deeply- any creature will do, so long as it's not yourself. 

Khris Fields

2 comments:

  1. I am now officially OVER MYSELF for all eternity... not that I was ever all that into myself. :)

    ReplyDelete