October 27, 2009

The Constant Companion

Today has been a day of reflection. I think about my life and one thing that has remained constant- through the pivotal moments that have shaped my character- is that I have always been surrounded by animals. From childhood, adolescence, and into my adult years, there were always at every moment furry beings who listened, lent a shoulder, and were willing to share whatever burden I faced. There are central moments which every human has; they are different for each of us- mine were divorce, marriage, abuse, loss, children, career, and love. In each of these intervals of my life, I had a pet by my side.

When I was a very small child, there were Frisky the Chihuahua and Fluffy the gray cat. Frisky was much like an older brother- he ate my Halloween candy, disliked me most of the time, and was always competing for my mother's attention. Fluffy, on the other hand, was my first connection with another soul. She died when I was thirteen years old.  She taught me early lessons about love, listened to my pre-teen fears, and a word named Grief.

Later, there were Ben and Emmy. They were my first Shelties. With them, I married the man who would become my first Ex Husband, became a mother (twice), learned to show dogs and embarked on becoming
a dog trainer. They led me to the career which would span the next twenty years of my life.

After what I like to call The Aussie Years, which included another husband and eventually led me to the wonderful life I have now, then came the German Shepherds.  It was during the German Shepherd years that I met two of men I love most in the world- Wayne and Xarco. Wayne is my companion in everything, partner in crime, business partner, and helped raise me alongside my children. Xarco was my first competition Schutzhund dog and a piece of my heart left when he passed away. He was a guardian, friend, confidant, and rogue. With him, I safely travelled anywhere, anytime. His quiet authority and  playful nature combined with 130 pounds of animal instinct and no one crossed his path- man nor beast.  He was a fortress in more ways than one.

The German Shepherd years passed and now there are others. Katie and Sugar, matronly Shelties who have been here for more than a decade greet me everyday. Ace, the smiling Bernese Mountain Dog, and Rondo, the laughing Standard Poodle, are with us now also. These happy dogs are like extensions- they are mirrors which reflect my life. Heidi, the Sheltie, who is the shadow of Wayne, reminds me of the old Frisky as she vies for his attention. Funny, that part of my life seems to be coming full circle

Too numerous to mention, are the others who have woven my life's quilt with dog and cat hair. Goose, the Maine Coon cat who romped through my house and Scarlett, the tortoise colored vixen with green eyes who still greets me in the kennel. Sadie, the long-haired German Shepherd who was the worst dog I ever knew. She belonged to the best man I ever knew. I inherited her when I married Wayne. I'm sure that she was mentioned in the "for better or worse" section of our vows.

 I cannot imagine a world (or life for that matter) which did not include pets. Each portion of me can be neatly packaged within my memories like little brown boxes. The pets who lived with me are the bows which tie those boxes closed. As I write this, there are Heidi and Rachel's Boxer Zoe lying at my feet. Rondo looks at me with black Poodle eyes and asks to go outside to play. Perhaps the thing I like best about having animals is that no matter what, everyday, we leave ourselves and our lives at rest for just a little while while we see to their needs. A wise man once said, "There is no selfish man, who can love a dog."

Khris

No comments:

Post a Comment