March 16, 2010

Guest Blog

Hello everyone! My name is Annelise Sophiea and I am a Horse Management student, graduating this year, at Michigan State University. I had the honor of becoming part of team Chevy for a week at Fields Quarter Horses in Walton, Kentucky during my spring break.

The week I spent at Fields Quarter Horses is one that I will never forget. All the learning that took place during the week can never be replaced. My adventure started as I left my house in Dewitt Michigan and started my 333‐mile drive down to Kentucky. When I arrived at Fields Quarter Horses I was greeted by a smiling face and cheery attitude. Khris and Wayne Fields were gracious enough to invited me into their home and allow me to participate with some activities that occur on a breeding farm.

 The very first full day I was there a mare foaled prematurely which was very sad and devastating but it was a terrific learning experience, I am also happy to announce that as of right now the mare and foal are both doing well and healing nicely. During my stay I got to ask many questions to one of AQHA’s most significant assets, Gary Trubee. He was a fountain of knowledge and you could see how much horses were his passion. He was willing to teach as well as to learn. I learned so much from him during the week as well as many new phrases that will stick with me for the rest of my life. He has never stopped learning, which should be an example to all of us.

Throughout the week I was able to help out at the farm cleaning stalls and letting horses out as well as some more experience handling mares and foals. I was so thankful to be able to ride along with Wayne and Gary to Rood and Riddle to watch OHK Krymsun Zip be collected for breeding. It was something that I had never witnessed before. It was such an amazing experience, which made me realize how amazing these stallions really are.

Throughout the week there was a mare that we were keeping an eye on because for about 48 hours she had been waxing and dripping milk and she had not foaled yet. I had to leave on a Saturday morning and it was Friday afternoon with no baby yet. I wanted so bad to actually see a mare foal and how they help the mare if needed. Well Friday night came along, I said a little prayer that I could see a mare foal before I left and sure enough, she began to foal! It was all very quick and the gift of life it something to never take for granted. What a wonderful thing to be a part of.

As I left Kentucky it was very bittersweet because I really missed my husband and my family and I also had a lot of excitement waiting for me at home due to my graduation but I had made new friends though out the week and I hated to leave something that everyday I learned something new. Thank you Fields Quarter Horses for making my experience so enjoyable and allowing me to become part of Team Chevy for the week. The week I will never forget.  Photo Caption: This is the foal born on Annie's first day at the farm. This foal was premature and she and the mare were in serious condition for the week. What a happy ending!

1 comment: