February 28, 2010

You're So Vain

There are certain riddles which have perplexed mankind for years. These unanswered questions are woven through  the fabric of our popular culture until they have become legend. Who really shot JR? Who is so vain? Did Puff the Magic Dragon inhale?

Some riddles are never solved; some questions never answered. But occasionally, a truth escapes the great unknown and finds its way home. As I turned on my computer this morning, I was struck by the headline that Carly Simon had finally revealed the subject of her hit song "You're So Vain". Will wonders never cease? Actually, it doesn't really matter whom it was. I couldn't really care less. I was just struck by the absurdity that someone/anyone felt that this news warranted equal or higher billing than the plight of mankind.

It ranked on my headline news above the death toll from the Chilean earthquake; it came before the information regarding the landfall of the resulting tsunami. Someone in their infinite wisdom actually thought that this little blurb of popular culture was news. Well, I suppose to a fish in a bowl, it may have been. To someone who was too wrapped up in our Hollywood culture, or fame, or show business- it probably was more important than human suffering or a South American's plight for survival.

So, I'll answer the question with a riddle of my own- who, exactly, among us is so vain? I am personally going to examine myself and those around me carefully. I'm sure there will be things I don't like. Ringo is very vain and Chevy can be narcisistic at times. But we all know that raccoons and stallions have large egos. Regardless, I think it's time we step aside from our selfves and the "me" and think about the collective "we"...I'm going to suggest that Ringo and Chevy begin practicing that policy effective immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment