February 23, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

The snow has begun to melt- the birds chirped yesterday for just a bit. It has been above freezing for at least 3 days. I believe that Spring may be just around the corner. Of course, I won't let my guard down and trust Mother Nature for even a moment. Her whimsy may turn to revenge in a moment's notice and we may find ourselves buried under a deluge of ice or snow again. She is female personified- crazy, volatile, flirtatious, sexy, manipulative, bubbly, and sweet. That's the Mother Nature I know of late.

On other fronts, the mares, trainers, young horses, and rest of us have settled into a gentle (yet busy) routine. That's always a sure sign that there is a storm brewing. One thing that previous foaling seasons have taught me is that just about the time I adjust to a routine- it will change.

Dr. Mather has resumed her regular farm visits to check mares for breeding.  She seems to have fallen back into our regular morning routine rather easily this year. Chevy has seen more than his fair share of the AV (here's a link- I'm not going to explain what that is here  http://www.extension.org/pages/Horse_Semen_Collection
 and even he seems to have settled back into the routine of a breeding stallion rather quickly.

I found myself wondering if this were the calm before the storm today. The routines seem easy- the help plentiful. So, we shall just wait and see what comes of this calm that everyone seems to be experiencing...

No comments:

Post a Comment