February 14, 2010

Soap Operas

I was raised on Soap Operas. My mother and aunts were dedicated to the characters of The Young and the Restless in a manner which now seems cultish. The characters were much like extended family that were never present at family gatherings but were discussed in great length and with much familiarity. It occurerd to my yesterday that our farm and its characters is nothing more than a string of mini-Soaps.

Days of Our Lives: Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives.... this opening narration plays through my head each morning as we begin and end every day. Perhaps because we work with animals who like the rest of nature crave routine and order, we become creatures of that environment and carry out routines without noticing the grooves that we are forming.

The Young and the Restless. It's foaling season and we are consumed by young, tender, tiny things every day. Either last years foals, or two-year-olds learning new lessons, or the tiniest little horses who are coming this year- they are all so young and anxious to see the world.

The Bold and the Beautiful.  Chevy had his first semen collection on Friday and I could not help but stand in awe of this magnificent animal. He is kind, loving, and an old soul yet the raw power that a stallion exhibits during the breeding process is overwhelming at times. Watching him do his part to create future Quarter Horses, I could not help but stand back and wonder at the true beauty and character of this animal.

General Hospital.  Dr. Mather has resumed her often visits to the farm as there are foals to see, mares to ultrasound, and breeding work to do. With the influx of new horses to the farm, there are ever-present medical needs from the small to the momenetus which always need attention. Why aren't horses born with helmets to protect them?

As the World Turns.  Now that we've walked this path for a while, I find the breeding seasons are beginning to blend together- one year into the next. The routines are established- collect the stallions on Monday, Wednesday, Friday; eat Pizza on Tuesdays; groom mares; halter-break babies. I find them comforting and am happy that I can lose myself in my work. It's a wonderful place to be!

All My Children. My children are becoming spread about- Brittney is away at school, Josh and Amanda are in the Air Force in Little Rock, the foals move away to new homes. Ringo and Chevy are here with me- yes, I consider them in a category just short of children. With each new departure, our family grows and I become more blessed to have new friends and family members.

So, today as we accept a few new mares, send Cash the two-year-old home, send Wolf to his new owner, and go about our regular business, I'll maybe hear that Soap Opera narrator's voice in my head a few times. But, that's better than hearing strange voices in my head, right?

Khris

1 comment:

  1. Wonder what you would have done with the titles from radio soap operas of my upbringing in the 1940's ... towit, Helen Trent, Ma Perkins, Just Plain Bill, Young Widder Brown ... and so it goes!

    ReplyDelete