September 2, 2010

It's The Little Things

Little things are important in my life. I'm not talking about small details nor do I speak of finding pleasure in life's small surprises. Rather, the important little things in my life are usually furry, sometimes bite or kick, have more legs than I do, and seem to require a lot of care.

Whether it's a horse, a dog, a raccoon, cat, llama, donkey, hedgehog, or some other beast which happens to be in my care- they are all important. I sometimes wonder if other people see animals the way I do. In my world (which I share with you occasionally) each little thing has a voice, a personality, and a story.

I look at a small dog checking into Canine Companion for a weekend visit while his owners go on vacation and he instantly tells me a story. These stories are usually complete with nuances such as distinctive voices, ethnic flair, a diverse and rich garden of emotions to choose from. I walk past a mare and foal standing in a paddock and instantly imagine their conversation. Or do I?

We've already established that I have a vivid imagination (if you only knew!) but some days I do ask myself who will tell the stories of these animals if I don't? Who will explain the anguish that Brownie will feel when her foal is weaned in a few weeks. Who will share the sage wisdom that only a raccoon can offer? Who will explain the airy thoughts that bounce through a Jack Russell's brain when he chases a ball? So, I suppose that I will resume this task. The little things around me are clamoring to have their stories told. Right now Rondo the poodle is pestering Ringo the raccoon to help him write his name. It's infectious- this giving animals a literary voice thing.

1 comment: